Boxing will see its biggest fight on this weekend, which is slated as a match between the legendary American boxer, Floyd Mayweather competing with the Philippine fighter Manny Pacquiao. The venue for the big match to be held on Saturday 2nd May at 11:30 pm ET, is MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It will be covered on as live text commentary on BBC Sports Website. The match will be available on Sky Sports in UK and Showtime and HBO in USA.
Here are some of the most interesting Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight facts:
- Both the contestants, Mayweather and Pacquiao, are considered the greatest of this time and it is a wonder that the contemporaries are going to fight against each other in the same weight category.
- Mayweather, 38, who turned professional in 1996 has been unbeaten in all his 47 matches till now, besides bagging world titles in five different weight categories. On the other hand, Pacquiao, 38, entered pro boxing in 1995 and has been beaten only on 5 occasions in 64 matches, with world titles in six weight categories.
- In financial terms, this is going to be the biggest fight ever, with Mayweather bagging 90 million pounds and Pacquiao making 60 million pounds. Fans will have to shell out as much as $ 100 for watching the live action.
- Amazingly, Mayweather is already worth a whopping $ 245 million, of which $ 105 million was earned in the last one year only, while the net worth of Pacquiao is $ 110 million.
- It is expected that the fight will go for all 12 rounds and will be an intriguing one, with both the boxers having different styles. While Mayweather is a defensive player, Pacquiao is an all out attacker.
- Out of the last five fights fought by Pacquiao, he has lost the first two bouts, which are standing out as a career black mark. On the positive note, the next three fights have brought victory for the boxer, which gives him an edge. Though Mayweather is on the wrong side of age, yet the contest promises to be a close one.
- Currently, there is no clause for a rematch but if it does happen, it is going to be the most expensive in the world, with the match being worth an incredible $ 300 million. It will be split between the two boxers Mayweather and Pacquiao in the ratio of 60% and 40% respectively.
- According to the oddsmakers in Las Vegas, Mayweather is being regarded as the hot favorite to win the biggest match in the boxing history. He is considered as a +210 favorite to win it.
- As reported by experts, the only was Pacquiao can beat Mayweather in the match is by knocking him out, which seems next to impossible, considering the fact that Mayweather has been officially knocked out only on one occasion in his entire boxing career.
- Till now, both the competitors have had five opponents in common, who are Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley and Jaun Manuel Marquez.
With the day of the big fight getting closer, tensions are mounting and adrenalin is rushing among the fans, who are anticipating this most eagerly awaited match in the world boxing history